The tale of a Minnesotan, living in Maine, Traveling to Tampa for the UCC General Synod 2011

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Baby Takes the Morning Train

Well, here I am, a day late and a dollar short as far as this blog is concerned. I meant to post something before this, filling in on what this blog is all about (the 28th General Synod of the United Church of Christ), and what I'll be doing there (being a delegate for Minnesota, blogging, visiting with old friends and making some new ones). But, here I am, waiting for a train in Boston to take me to Tampa, FL.

"Wait, what? Didn't she say she's from Minnesota? What is she doing in a train station in Bean Town?!"

Well, funny story, that. Basically, I signed on to be a delegate for Minnesota, where I was born and raised, about four years ago. I had no idea then (or even a year ago) that I would be living in Maine at the time of this year's Synod. But I'm still a member at my home church (is there a good term for this? "Baptismal church" maybe?), which is Lynnhurst Congregational UCC in Minneapolis. (Lynnhurstucc.org). Since moving to Maine in January, I have been attending First Parish UCC in Brunswick.

And why the train? Well, I took the train for the first time at Christmas, and sort of fell in love. It wasn't perfect, but it felt calmer, greener and actually somewhat safer - I'm not afraid of terrorists so much as being stuck in an airport for 8 hours with no one to watch my bags!

So, that's it for now. I will try and post more today, especially as I begin delving in to my committee assignment and the other topics we'll be voting on this year. Also, I apologize if any of this post is chopped up or has grammatical mistakes. I'm usually a good proof reader, but I'm writing from my phone and don't have the benefit of a full screen!

No comments:

Post a Comment